How do we collect information?
We collect information from you when you visit our website, when you complete a Supplementary Information Form, register for an Open Event or apply for a job vacancy, via emails with us and via any other online and/or in person contact between you and any member of staff from JCoSS.
What information do we collect?
The type of information that we collect online is detailed below:
When filling out a form on our website you may be asked to enter any of the following: Name, email address, address (both child and parent), phone number (mobile and landline), childs name, child’s date of birth, child’s name and address of current school, name and year of siblings if at JCoSS, GSCEs taken and grades, A Level or vocational preferences.
If you are applying for a job role with us, we request that you complete the online application form, and will collect any and all the information that you provide us within this document. This includes your name and current job title, any information provided on your CV, which may include career history, examination results, date of birth, references, postal address, phone number and current salary information, your preferred contact information, including your personal phone number and email address.
You may, however, visit our site anonymously.
What do we use your information for?
The information we collect from you may also be used in any of the following ways:
- For security purposes: So we know who is coming to an event
- For monitoring purposes: So we understand the demographics of people attending our events
- For admissions purposes Year 7/In Year: So we have the information necessary to apply the over-subscription admissions criteria.
- For admissions purposes for 6th Form: So we have the necessary information for a student application into the JCoSS 6th Form
- To send emails: If you have provided your email address, this will be used to communicate with you. You will receive an automated email once you have submitted a form. Your email address will not be used by any third parties or for any reason other than reasonable communication regarding the event or application.
- To process your job application: If you complete an application form to work at JCoSS, then the information you provide will be used to determine whether to invite you in for an initial interview. We require this information in order to assess your application for the role for which you are applying. We keep your information for the duration of the recruitment process, from application to interview. If your interview is successful, then we would retain this information for our internal records as long as you remain in employment with us. If your application is unsuccessful, then we would delete/destroy all data pertaining to you within one year.
Website visitors only
Information that we receive as a result of your visiting our website, which would only be collected in aggregate so your details would remain anonymous, may be used:
- To personalise your experience – Your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs.
- To improve our website – We continually strive to improve our website offering, based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
For staff and students – Cookies are used when you login to Firefly/Microsoft 365/Moodle. The cookies will log your login information. The reason for this is Firefly/Moodle/Microsoft 365 is also accessible using other methods and cookies will also log other information such as technical.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of any personal information that you share with us.
These security measures include:
- Ensuring we only store your information within our own password protected website and internal secure JCoSS systems
- The site is regularly maintained and any available security patches are applied every month.
- The site has security scanning to actively protect our servers from hackers and other vulnerabilities
- A CAPTCHA device has been added to the WordPress login page to and limit login attempts to make it much harder for hackers to crack the login.
- All supplied information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. We would only release your information if required to do so to comply with the law, to enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others’ rights, property or safety.
You have the right to request updates to your information, as well as the ‘right to be forgotten’, in accordance with European law. Any requests to update or delete data should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be responded to within 30 days.
We reserve the right to retain any data that may be reasonably required by law (e.g. data required to process our accounts for tax purposes).
We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that we are compliant with the European General Data Protection Regulation, applicable from 25 May 2018. Our Data Compliance Officer is Amanda Armstrong.
This policy was last updated on 9th January 2023.