Free School Meal eligibility runs from 1st September through to the 31st August. It is imperative that you apply or renew your Free School Meal entitlement before the 30th June to ensure your eligibility continues in to the new academic year. Failure to renew by this date may temporarily cease your entitlement for the next academic year.
There are a number of JCoSS students who are eligible for Free School Meals who currently don’t have an active claim. It is vital that those who are eligible receive them for two reasons:
1) Free School Meals (FSMs) are an entitlement and ensure that all children have a daily healthy meal at school;
2) The Pupil Premium announced by the government involves a redistribution of funding towards schools with significant numbers of FSM students. As a school with relatively few students qualifying for FSMs, this is a very worrying immediate threat to our income and we need to ensure that as a school we receive the income to which we are entitled.
The criteria for qualifying for FSMs, set by the government, include families who are in receipt of one of the following:
· Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
· Income Support (IS)
· Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
· Income based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
· Child Tax Credit (when your family income is under £16,190)
· The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
· Universal Credit
Asylum Seekers are also eligible, but unfortunately families in receipt of the Working Tax Credit are not.
If you fulfil the above criteria, or think that you do, I urge you to complete the attached form and ask your son/daughter to hand it to reception marked ‘FAO Mr Hart’ by the 30th June. Please note that when this form is returned it should include documentary proof of receipt of the above from a government agency. If you do not have this documentary proof then we are able to check eligibility centrally with the parent surname, National Insurance number and parent date of birth – please complete these sections on the form.
Thank you for your active support in this matter.
Mr D Hart
For information about the eligibility and the documents you need to provide to support your application, please click here to read the notes.
Please note that if you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit your children will not be entitled to free school meals regardless of any other credits you may receive.